Gönderen Konu: What did they say about her? (Özlem Tekin from foreign eyes)  (Okunma sayısı 1381 defa)

Çevrimdışı Hyper Sonic

• Gold Üye
  • İleti: 3330
  • Cinsiyet: Bay
Since there doesn't seem much to talk about Özlem on the forums for the time being, I thought maybe sharing and discussing the opinions of foreign people on Özlem would keep us busy until she releases a new album.

Alright then, I'll begin with the album reviews on amazon.com. As far as I am and my researches are concerned, they don't sell any of her albums on amazon.com except for Tek Başıma. So, here comes the first review from an American listener (I'll try to highlight the parts that I find noteworthy):

"Great voice - exciting approach, August 11, 2003
By  John Bianchi (New York, NY) - See all my reviews

This is the first time I've ever heard Ozlem Tekin, and it's a good introduction. She's got a great voice with a lot of character. Tekin imbues her vocals with feeling and takes on different shadings from sly to openly passionate. That in itself would be exciting enough in an artist you've just been introduced to, but her sense of musical style and melody are strong as well.
This album I guess must be defined as "alternative rock", but its reminiscent of other favorites: There's a folk-rock approach to some cuts, but this is hybridized with what to my American ears sounds like a grounding in Turkish sounds - though nowhere near as strongly Turkish as Tarkan's current album. Tekin captures the isolated mood of some of Grace Jones's "Nightclubbing", but there's a lot more urgency to her wide-ranging vocals, and while she makes use of a slightly Manchester-tinged tech sound, its use is sparing and never intrudes too far into the pared down accompanyment.

Add to this synthesis some very strong vocal outings very grounded in rock, but reminiscent of cabaret pieces. The spoken section of Daglari Deldim is inspired, while selections like Hep Yek, Oof, Kirildim, Deli Gibi and Daa are also very memorable. Interesting and haunting melodies, strong vocals, a stylish and moody setting, and a unique blending of influences make for a great album. Tek Basima made me want to run out and get Tekin's other recordings, AND sample more of the explosive proliferation in Turkish rock. "

In the part in blue, the reviewer compares the musical styles of Tarkan's album (Kuzu Kuzu?) and Özlem's Tek Başıma, stating that even though Özlem's music has bits of Turkish influence to it, it is nowhere as explicit as Tarkan's, which shows us just how effective her music is, both to native and non-native ears.

In all the other parts, the reviewer is basically praising her (or more like stating the obvious facts about her!) The parts in red are especially worth noting.

I am going to type other comments made about her by foreigners. In the meantime, feel free to discuss her international fame.
« Son Düzenleme: 20 Aralık 2009 - 00:06:26 Gönderen: Super Sonic »
Kalbim pusula, sen kuzey!

Özlem Tekin

Ynt: What did they say about her? (Özlem Tekin from foreign eyes)
« Yanıtla #1 : 20 Aralık 2009 - 23:28:20 »

Çevrimdışı Hyper Sonic

• Gold Üye
Tek Başıma review on amazon.com #2:

"   4.0 out of 5 stars turkish shmurkish, January 3, 2007
By  Der Hammer des Kuchens "I guess so" (Kalifornia) - See all my reviews

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
I read that Ozlem Tekin blended hard rock, dance, folk and pop together and that she used to be in a hard rock band so I got this cd which to my disappointment was more dance and pop and no hard rock. However after listening to this cd I really started to like it.
Ozlem has a beautiful voice which is what really made me get into this cd. Her voice carries a lot of beauty and emotion which just grabs you even if you don't understand turkish, like me. A couple of the songs musically are just bland but I will listen to them just to hear her voice like on the song Kirildim which has techno and dance type beats and synths. This isn't the type of music that I listen at all but because of her voice I became a fan of this cd.

Musically it's a blend of pop, dance, techno, folk and a little bit of rock thrown in although not that much.My favorite song is Deli Gibi which kinda has a funky sound to it and I really enjoy the others songs very much except for Kirildim which is just alright. The songs all have a beautiful and fun feel to them which leaves you feeling good and they also want to make you dance. The cd jacket does come with lyrics so you can read along with them even if you don't understand them.
I would recommend this cd to anyone whether or not you like pop music or understand turkish because either way you will fall in love this one like I have.  "

So, this person hears of Özlem’s hard rocker background, decides to give her music a chance, but, much to his/her disappointment, obtains Özlem’s softest album ever! Nonetheless, after listening to the album for which s/he had to pay, the album grows on him/her. This is the power of Özlem’s music. Not only is she able to reach the souls of non-natives of Turkish, she could also make soft music get through to the listeners of hard rock!

« Yanıtla #2 : 20 Aralık 2009 - 23:39:48 »

Çevrimdışı Hyper Sonic

• Gold Üye
Hmm, looks like Laubali and 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 are also on amazon.com, but they don't have any comments made on them. Could this mean that Tek Başıma is Özlem's internationally most famous album to date? Obviously, two comments on an album aren't enough to determine such a thing, but it is statistical data after all.

« Yanıtla #3 : 30 Temmuz 2010 - 16:23:20 »

Çevrimdışı Hyper Sonic

• Gold Üye
No mention of the new album on any foreign online shopping sites... Shame =/